Saturday, September 15, 2012

Movie: Scarlet Pimpernel



My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9.5
Genre: Adventure, romance, period drama
Primary actors: Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour, Ian McKellen
Length: About two hours
Based on: The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy and also some events from El Dorado by the same.
Time period: 1700’s -- French Revolution
Quote(s): “Sink me!”
Year it came out: 1982
My overall opinion: Oh man, this is a great movie, as is obvious from my rating. I’ve seen it three times now and loved it each time! I’m going to number this, just because I like numbering.
1. Sir Percival Blakeney? I don’t consider him a particularly handsome character, and was rather down on him the first time I saw it, but having seen it again and again, I like him. He’s good at his part. So flippant at times, and so not at others! Perfect.
2. Marguerite St. Just. Also excellent. She beautiful and a great actor. I enjoy her a lot!
3. Citizen Chauvelin. Played by Ian McKellen, aka Gandalf. Simply detestable, as he should be. Very interesting to see McKellen 20 years before LOTR!
4. Costumes. To die for. I would love one of those dresses! Albeit, they aren’t very modest. At all. But I still consider them beautiful. This is a great movie to watch just for the dresses. By the way, Marguerite's hairstyles are also very interesting -- some beautiful, some mostly remarkable.


5. Suspense. Absolutely. Full of it. But not for as long as the book. Delightful, exciting, nerve-racking. You won’t be able to stop watching. :)
6. Music. Beautiful.
7. There you go! One of my favorite movies. If you’ve read the book (a must), this movie adaption is good. There are a few things they don’t get right, but overall, it’s a keeper. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

I really enjoyed this movie! I never read any of The Scarlet Pimpernel books, but I just knew that when Anthony Andrews appeared on the screen, he WAS Sir Percy.

I also love Marguerite's white picnic dress (which I think is the second to last picture?)!

Charity U said...

Miss Elizabeth, it is a great movie! Yes, Anthony Andrews was perfect. The white picnic dress is very pretty!

Btw, I do highly recommend the books. :)