Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Child of the City



Author: Tito Matias
Genre: True story, conversion
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9
Type: Non-fiction
Number of pages: 199
Time period: 1960's
Main characters: Tito, Paul
Exciting events: Several.
My overall opinion: Okay, you probably saw that I gave this book a high rating. It's because I really enjoyed it! Now before you rush out and buy it, let me caution you: this is not a book for kids. Tito lived in Chicago. Chicago is gang-heaven. There are mentions of shootings. As you get into the book, you learn Tito had a really rocky past. Namely, other men forced themselves on him in the wrong way twice. I hope that's clear enough, I don't want to type more explicitly. There is no detail, but you know. I didn't know much (anything?) about gangs prior to reading this book. It was an excellent read, but don't let your 9 year old read it.
EDIT: re-reading, you need more detail. :) It's the story of Tito, a boy of Chicago, who goes to a place called Inner City Impact, and learns about Jesus. He's a great athlete and participates in AWANA. A man named Paul really helps him. He ends up finishing high school in Montana, at a high school my grandma went to. Though I don't think she knew him. So.

No comments: