Friday, May 13, 2011

Movie: Sense and Sensibility

***special note below***


My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8.5
Main characters: Elinor, Marianne, Willoughby, Colonel Brandon, Edward
Genre: Romance
Primary actors: Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Hugh Grant, Alan Rickman
Length: Slightly over 2 hours
Based on: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Time period: 1800's
Quote(s): My heart is, and always will be, yours.
Year it came out: 1995
My overall opinion: I like this one! Now, it's true that I have not yet seen any other editions. But it would take a lot for me to like another better. :) One problem here: the men are all rather ugly IMHO. :P Oh, but I really enjoyed Elinor's proposal scene this time. :)
****For those of you who already saw and commented on my other post...that one disappeared. Blogger had a problem and deleted it...along with all the ones from the same time in other blogs. I will copy in your comments, since I still have them in my inbox...if that doesn't make sense, scroll down. :) Thank you for your patience!

7 comments:

Jujube said...

I haven't read Sense and Sensibility so I don't know if I can discern the movie version properly. But I did watch this 1995 version, and I liked it!

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

This is one of my favorite movies!

I got your comment over at my blog. I'd be happy to guest post for you in June. How long would you want me to post? And how often? If I did a review, should I keep it to the format that you have for your reviews? Let me know when you have time. :-)

Melody said...

I like that movie! It has a nice old-fashioned feel, that goes well with S&S. :)

Charity U said...

{{{{Comment from Miss Laurie that she left on the post that disappeared:}}}}

Yay! This is the film that introduced me to Jane Austen! It's true that this adaptation isn't the closest to the original story but Emma Thompson's screenplay is pure genius because she so totally gets Jane Austen's voice and sarcasm and the beauty of her original novel.
And when you say "except for the ugly men" does that mean you think all of the gentlemen cast in this film are not that good looking? I agree that they are a bit older but Hugh Grant is classic leading actor and Greg Wise as Willoughby is very charming.
You should definitely see the more recent S&S adaptation, I think you'll really enjoy it.

~Miss Laurie
Old-Fashioned Charm

Charity U said...

{{{{Comment from Tristans_Isolde also left on the disappearing post:}}}}

I like this one too! I loved Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet, Greg Wise was also a great Willoughby but I totally agree with you the men were quite ugly- I think the director of this movie lost the memo saying 'Austen men are dangerously handsome and exceedingly charming' :)

I haven't seen the newer one either but I am dying to!

Charity U said...

{{{{And one from Elegance of Fashion:}}}}

Love this movie! Even though it's not exact to the book, I thought that the overall tone of the book was presented in this movie. The more recent one was okay, but I wouldn't watch the first couple of minutes of it (why they had to add that scene, I don't know).

{{{{back to me: I've heard about the scene...why do they add things like that?!?!? Ugh. }}}}

Melody said...

(In reply to Miss Laurie's comment)
This movie was my first introduction to Jane Austen as well, and confimed me as a Jane Austen fan! =)

I agree, Greg Wise was a really good Willoughby, and I don't think he was ugly at all. ;)

In fact, I don't think the men were exactly ugly...I wouldn't call Edward handsome, but he's not supposed to be, and Col. Brandon was too old...but he had a charm of his own.

(In reply to Elegance's comment)
The new movie I like; and it's another one that grows on me, and I appreciated it more when I watched it a second time.
It is very very annoying that they have to stick bad things in there. GRRRR!!!!!