Thursday, July 12, 2012

Emma & Knightley



Subtitle: Perfect Happiness in Highbury: A sequel to Jane Austen’s Emma
Author: Rachel Billington
Genre: Life
Series: It’s a sequel to Emma by Jane Austen
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 7.5
Type: Fiction
Number of pages: 362
Time period: 1800’s
My overall opinion: Let’s do this as simply as possible: part 1 is pros, part 2 is cons.
1.       Reading a sequel to a favorite book (especially a Jane Austen) is almost always fun. It was indeed fun to meet characters from Emma again! Some of it was quite funny, and most of it was pretty interesting. Learning more about John Knightley, Frank Churchill, and Miss Bates was neat! Oh, and we finally get to meet the Sucklings – prepare to be surprised! This book was totally free from swearing or anything else objectionable.

2.       Cons. And I had quite a few problems, I’m afraid. As previously mentioned, it was clean – the mistakes that bugged me were just that: mistakes. A quotation mark was dropped every ten pages, I believe. Oh, not on clockwork…but I don’t think you could read 10 pages without finding one missing. That really bugs me, I admit. And another problem with the editor – remember Selina Suckling, who Mrs. Elton is always talking about? The book called her Selina once, then switched the Serena (three times!) before doing Selina twice more. That mistake should never have gotten through.
So, overall, I don’t really recommend it, and I definitely don’t think you should buy it. If you can pick up a free copy, and you adore Emma, then you may find this to be interesting…but don’t get your hopes up for an amazing book.

No comments: