Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Guest Post: The Young Victoria



My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8.5
Main characters: Victoria, Albert
Genre: Drama, Biopic
Recognizable actors: Rupert Friend, Mark Strong, Harriet Walter, Emily Blunt 
Length: 105 minutes
Based on: The Life of Queen Victoria before and after her ascension to the throne.
Time period: 1837 - 1840s
Year it came out: 2009
Story: Princess Victoria is the only rightful heir to the throne of England, but her mother, the Duchess of Kent, and Sir John Conroy, a friend of the Duchess's who manages her affairs, wants Victoria to sign a contract that would allow the Duchess to rule as Victoria's co-regent if Victoria takes the throne while she is young (which would allow Sir John to indirectly run England). Victoria refuses each time they ask.
My overall opinion: This is a very good period drama! I didn't know very much about Queen Victoria before (let alone her early life), but now I have a little bit more of an understanding of her early life and of her romance with her husband, Albert.


Emily Blunt was a very good Queen Victoria. Throughout the entire movie, not only do you know and understand what she is going through, but you also know what she is thinking. 


I didn't think I would care for Rupert Friend's Albert: having only seen part of Pride and Prejudice 2005, I wasn't too impressed with him as Wickham. But after viewing The Young Victoria, I was happy to see that he did a good job with the role. We do get a little glimpse into what Albert is thinking: how he loves Victoria, but he cannot ask her to marry him since she has to ask him. I was a little skeptical of his German accent, but I didn't think that it was bad.


The love story part of The Young Victoria was sweet. I was rooting for them the whole time (okay, yes I had a feeling that they were going to get married since it happened in history, but you get my point). It did get a little mushy in some spots (and there was some content issues there, but I'll talk about how to avoid those scenes later on).


The costumes are A-MAZ-ING! Lots of colors (except for the mourning clothes, of course) and a number of them I wouldn't mind wearing. The costumes ranged from 1830s dresses to early 1840s dresses. Very, very nice!


Overall, this was a very good movie to watch. The film is rated PG, but there are a couple of scenes that you may want to avoid, mainly after Victoria and Albert get married. Once you see the wedding scene, there are a couple of scenes that you will want to skip; the good news is that they are right next to each other (or if not right next to each other, very, very close together). So if you skip a couple of minutes there (I can't give an exact number, but definitely no more than ten minutes), then you should be fine. This movie is definitely worth a watch!



If you would like to read my original review of The Young Victoria at my blog, you can find the review here.





Elegance of Fashion
Make sure you visit my blog Elegance of Fashion for reviews, tournaments, and other events! 

No comments: