Friday, February 22, 2013

The Healer’s Apprentice


Author: Melanie Dickerson

Genre: Fairy tale, adventure

Series: It’s not part of a series, but at least The Fairest Beauty is set in the same location and with a few recurring characters.

My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9

Type: Fiction

Number of pages: 261

Time period: 1300s

My overall opinion: Melanie Dickerson is my newest favorite author. I so enjoyed this book! It had a definite grown-up fairy-tale feel that I loved – that sounds kind of bad. I don’t mean that there was mature content or anything inappropriate…merely that it’s written for adults, as opposed to kids. No particular fairy-tale stood out to me as being the one it was modelled on – a touch of Cinderella though, for sure. In the afterword, Melanie mentioned modeling it on Sleeping Beauty…which I caught after thinking about it for a while. This book was enjoyable and memorable, laced with mystery and suspense and a lovable element. This is a sweet tale sure to capture any reader’s heart!
 

9 comments:

Melanie Dickerson said...

Yay!!! :-) Thanks for the awesome review!

Rissi said...

Glad to know this one is good, Charity. I need to read 'Fairest Beauty' (which I won, yay!). Any sort of fairy-tale re-telling is a must-read. :)

Charity U said...

Melanie, thank YOU for stopping by! :)

Rissi, it is very good. I loved Fairest Beauty -- it's even more of a fairy tale! Giveaway wins rock. :) Looking forward to your review of that as well! :)

Kara said...

Nice review! I enjoyed this one also. I found it refreshing. Ms. Dickerson did such a great job of taking a fairy tale world and reworking it to fit real life. Really well done! I haven't read Fairest Beauty yet, but it's on my list. :)

Carissa said...

I've read Melanie's first two books. My favorite is the The Merchant's Daughter I enjoyed that one because it was a retelling of Beauty and the beast.

Analiese said...

Glad you enjoyed it. :D Which one of Melanie's three books that you own is your favorite? I like The Merchant's Daughter best.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Adding this to my to-read list. Thanks!

(PS I'm hosting a giveaway on my Hamlette blog -- thought you might be interested!)

writingsofrosie said...

I'm late to comment, but better late than never! ;D

I really liked this one too, Charity. Especially Rose. I'm sure you know why. lol

Charity U said...

Kara, I agree that Melanie does an amazing job making fairy tales seem real! :)

Carissa, I've seen several people mention Merchant's as their favorite...I need to read that ASAP. :)

Analiese, I still haven't had time to read Merchant's, so I can't say...but at present, Fairest is my fav. :)

Hamlette, yay for to-read lists! :D Thanks for the giveaway heads up...I've entered.

Rosie, yup, can see why you like this one! It was very good. :)