Friday, June 24, 2011

Jewel of Persia


Author: Roseanna M. White
Genre: Life (but it's hard to say!)
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9.5
Type: Historical fiction
Number of pages: 346 (small type, long pages --- hooray!)
Time period: Bible times (around 480 b.c.)
Main characters: Kasia, Xerxes I, Esther, Mordecai
Passage from book: The river called to Kasia before she saw it, the voice of its sweet waters promising a moment of unbridled sensation. Kasia cast a glance over her shoulder at her young friend. She ought not to go. Abba forbade it -- rarely enough to keep her away, but today she was not alone. Still, Esther was not opposed to adventure, once one overcame her initial reservation.
My overall opinion: I loved this book. It's the story of Esther, but Esther is not the main character. Sound intriguing? It is. :) I should mention that this book, well, you know Xerxes had a big harem. A lot of wives and concubines. So there is some mention of his sleeping with various people. There was no description and overall I can't think of a way in which it could have been better handled. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical/biblical fiction! This book was amazing and I enjoyed it a ton. Definitely a new favorite!
 
Check out my need to read post on Jewel of Persia! http://austenitis.blogspot.com/2013/01/need-to-read-15-jewel-of-persia.html  

1 comment:

Katie Marie said...

SO glad you liked it! I thought this book was awesome and loved every minute I spent in the book.

Haha, I agree with your "small type, long pages -- hooray!" I felt the same way. It's one of those stories that you just don't want to end!