Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Movie: The Love Letter


My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8.5

Main characters: Scott Corrigan, Elizabeth Whitcomb, Caleb Denby

Genre(s): Romance, Historical, Fantasy (time travel)

Primary actors: Campbell Scott, Jennifer Jason Leigh

Filmmaker: Hallmark Hall of Fame

Year: 1998

Length: 1 hr. 39 min.

Based (loosely) on: the short story by Jack Finney

Time period: 1860s, 1990s

Exciting Events:  A biking accident resulting in a shortish coma, war at Gettysburg

Summary: During a shopping trip with his fiancĂ©e, Scott Corrigan purchases an intriguing antique desk. Later, as he cleans it, he finds a bundle of stationery and a love letter dated 1863, written by a Miss Elizabeth Whitcomb to a man only in her imagination. Fascinated, he composes a pretend reply to her letter. A few days later, he is convinced by his mother to write a real letter with authentic supplies, and send it at an old post office. Neither of them were prepared for the answer that appeared in the old desk…

My overall opinion: I really like this movie. I love the old-fashioned part of it – the costumes, the house, etc. And I love the sentimental/romantic song on the last half or so of the movie. Letters going through time seem more believable than people. It has some very sad parts – it never ceases to make me cry – but has a good enough ending to satisfy me. Some of my family find it a bit cheesy…but, it’s one of my favorites.




*Review by Melody*

3 comments:

Miss Laurie said...

The story line is a bit cheesy romantic but I really enjoy it too! Some of the attraction is the idea that maybe one day I might find an old desk like that and correspond with someone from history. :)
Lovely review!

~Miss Laurie
Old-Fashioned Charm

Melody said...

Miss Laurie,
Sometimes I imagine that, too. ;)

Unknown said...

It's one of my favorites.