Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mr. Knightley's Diary


Author: Amanda Grange
Genre: Journal
Series: I don't believe it's technically a series, but there are a number of other Austen hero diaries by her.
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9
Type: Fiction
Number of pages: 294
Time period: 1800's
Main characters: Mr. Knightley, Emma, Harriet, Elton
My overall opinion: It's essentially the book "Emma" by Jane Austen from Mr. Knightley's view. If you like that story, you'll enjoy this one too. :) It stuck very close to "Emma" and I found it really interesting. I don't think it was quite factual...Mr. Knightley didn't fall in love with Emma (or at least realize that he had) until well into the book, when I think in "Emma" he was fell in love early on, but I'm drawing that from memory, so I'm not certian.
I notice that Amanda Grange has also written a variety of other diaries, including ones for Mr. Darcy, Edmund Bertram, Colonel Brandon, and Captain Wentworth. I will definitely be reading more!

3 comments:

Melody said...

Yay! I can finally talk about this to someone who's read it.

I saw it on your sidebar, and got it from the library. I poked through it it all the interesting parts first, not supposing I'd read the whole thing...I am now, though.

About Knightley being in love with Emma early on, you are right, ever since she was "thirteen at least", however, just because he WAS, does not mean he REALIZED it. I don't think he was supposed to *know* he was in love the whole time, I think he was supposed to have realized it around the same time Frank Churchill came, because he got jealous. :P

I read Mr. Darcy's Diary all the way through - it was pretty good, I should be reviewing it soon. :)

(This is very hurried comment, fyi)

Charity U said...

Good point, Melody, about being in love but not knowing it. That would make sense. I'll look forward to the Darcy review! I was so glad...I think our library has that too. :) It'll be coming someday!

Melody said...

Oh, and, I recall some hints being given that he loved Emma already...he always preferred her company to everyone else's, liked her playing better than Jane's even though Jane's was superior, etc, etc.