Friday, December 6, 2013

The Merchant’s Daughter


Author: Melanie Dickerson

Genre: Fairy tale, life, romance

Series: Melanie has retold multiple fairy tales – this is the second, of four so far. (See my reviews of the first and third!)

Number in series: 2nd

My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9

Type: Fiction

Number of pages: 284

Time period: 1300s

Publisher and price: Zondervan, $9.99

My overall opinion: This is the true story of Beauty and the Beast. It’s the classic fairy tale, brought into our world, made into an entirely plausible and believable story. Love it! One rather silly thing about this book that I didn’t particularly love was the name of the heroine, Annabel. There’s nothing inherently wrong with it…I guess I just feel like it’s too “pretty” and fancy and all. However, despite rather disliking her name, I did quite like Annabel herself. She was plucky and stood up for her family in an admirable way. Ranulf, aka the hero, was awesome as well. The whole book was easy to read and I greatly enjoyed it! Melanie has great skill with taking a fairy tale and working it into a realistic setting. I also really love how she includes God in each of her books. Her characters are clearly Christian through their actions, conversations, and thoughts. This is a most enjoyable read and I can’t wait to read “Captive Maiden,” book four! I’m definitely glad I bought this book.

No comments: