Saturday, June 9, 2012

Shakespeare’s Lady



Author: Alexa Schnee
Genre: Life, romance
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8
Type: Historical fiction
Number of pages: 360
Time period: 1500’s
My overall opinion: I had hoped to enjoy this book more. One thing I greatly appreciated about it was that it had absolutely no seduction or bedroom scenes. Scratch that – there was one time when Emilia was in a man’s room in bed with him, but they were laying there talking, not doing other stuff. So that was nice. However, I was unimpressed with the morals of the 1500’s – they had practically none. But that’s historical, not a fault of this book. It was an interesting story, and I’m glad I read it…but I don’t know if I’ll keep the book, since I didn’t love it. All the details about the customs and dress of that time were very interesting! In her end note, the author says the main female character was real, but whether or not she had anything with Shakespeare is unknown. They definitely knew each other, though! Oh that reminds me…she is married to another man. But “loves” Shakespeare, and ends up sleeping with him (though no description). It’s not really pointed out as wrong, but… yeah. So I don’t know if you’ll want to read it or not! But it was interesting to see Queen Elizabeth I from this point of view!

1 comment:

Eva said...

Charity,
I am so glad that you take time to point out what could be objectionable to younger readers - I am 'young' and my parents are very particular about what I read (which I have no problem whatsoever with - I'm glad that they care enough about me to protect me in that way). Normally, I wouldn't give a book that had that title a second thought, but now I'm going to see if my library has it. Thanks again!