Thursday, January 5, 2012

Movie: The Man from Snowy River



My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8
Genre: Adventure, classic, touch of romance, western (in Australia)
Series or set: It does have a sequel: Return to Snowy River
Primary actor: Kirk Douglas
Length: An hour and forty minutes or so.
Time period: 1800’s
Exciting events: A death, a fight, wild horses, and more!
Year it came out: 1982
My overall opinion: I didn’t enjoy it as much as I’d hoped to. My problems with it were as follow: 1. I felt almost like it was over-cliched. Does that make any sense? :P I guess I found it pretty predictable. Not completely, but quite. Now, I realize that it’s old, and maybe all those classic story things are based on it…that may be, I don’t know. J 2. There were a few suggestive comments…which, I admit, were pretty hilarious, but still suggestive. They weren’t awful, but not constructive either, so to speak. 3. Finally, the music. It was either there, or it wasn’t. I didn’t feel it at all remarkable, and it seemed to me like it didn’t really blend in…I don’t recall noticing this much on other movies. When it was there, I realized it. When it wasn’t, that stood out too.
SO, those were my things against it. Oh, and the female heroine’s hairstyle was totally inaccurate for the time period. It was just romantic. ;)
However, it was a fun story, and while I certainly won’t buy the DVD, it was worth a one-time watch, and I’m glad I saw it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that this movie was based on a poem by Australian poet "Banjo" Patterson?.... this is one of THE national poems of Australia!

Melissa J. Katano

Charity U said...

Melissa, no, I don't think I did know that! It rings a faint bell, but it wasn't something I could have told you. How interesting!