Monday, September 10, 2012

A Night to Remember



Author: Walter Lord

Genre: Titanic (it should count as a genre)

My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8.5

Type: Non-fiction

Number of pages: 200

Time period: Early 1900’s

My overall opinion: This is a step by step account of the sinking of the Titanic. It’s sad, but intensely interesting. Obviously Walter Lord did a ton of research to write this book. 

One thing that I was struck by as I read was how the boats were very much “ladies and children first.” Many gentlemen refused to go until they were sure all the ladies and children were on. It’s been over 100 years since Titanic sank. Are men still such gentlemen? If a boat was sinking in the Atlantic, and no rescue was near, only a few lifeboats…would men nowadays still send the ladies first? I greatly fear we have become much more of a self-centered nation. Certainly, I believe that there are still gentlemen out there – the kind who open doors, let ladies go first, seat the girls. But not as many as there once were. It’s sad, I think. Very sad.

If you are interested in learning about the Titanic, this is definitely a book you should pick up! It was the best of its kind for decades.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Oh, this does sound interesting! I agree it's sad men aren't as chivalrous as they used to be. Sons should be taught to be more gentleman like.
Thanks for the review!