Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Glamorous Illusions


Author: Lisa T. Bergren

Genre: Life
Series: The Grand Tour series
Number in series: 1st (and I can’t wait for the 2nd, Grave Consequences!)
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9 (actually 9.25)
Type: Fiction
Number of pages: 402
Time period: Early 1900’s
About the book: When Cora Kensington learns she is the illegitimate daughter of a copper king, her life changes forever. Even as she explores Europe with her new family, she discovers that the most valuable journey is within. The first book in the Grand Tour series takes you from the farms of Montana through England and France on an adventure of forgiveness, spiritual awakening, and self-discovery.
My overall opinion: This was an amazing book. While I still think that the River of Time series contained the best books by Lisa Bergren, I cannot wait to read more from this series! But I have to wait until next spring…so sad about that. ANYWAY. This is the story a young lady named Cora who lives in border-line poverty on a failing farm in Montana with her parents. A life-changing discovery results in her travelling on a Grand Tour with siblings she never knew she had. The Grand Tour is something that was done by the children of millionaires in the early 1900’s – it involved touring Europe. Glamorous Illusions is exciting and breath-taking, full of suspense and adventure and some growing up (yes, that’s interesting too). There’s even some romance. The end of the book leaves you hanging…but not so much that I don’t recommend reading it. Definitely worth your time! This book is going to the top of my “need-to-own” list! Very highly recommended.
A word about what I’ve read by Lisa T. Bergren…I started out by reading the River of Time series: Waterfall, Cascade, and Torrent. My favorite was Torrent. That series remains my favorite of anything I’ve read by Lisa. It’s time travel from now back to Italy in the 1500’s – riveting. Super exciting, really amazing. :) Then I read the Homeward Trilogy, Breathe, Sing, and Claim. They were set in Colorado, and were also wonderful. Again, my favorite was the third book, Claim. If you’re looking for a new author to enjoy (as I always am), I highly recommend Lisa T. Bergren. She’s amazing. Her books are amazing. It’s awesome.
P.S. Check out my Cover Focus for Glamorous Illusions!

4 comments:

Melody said...

Okay, silly question--is the romance in this book the 'kissy' kind ~ aka describing things about the romance that we really don't need to know? :P Or maybe just a little too sappy? I've seen that quite often in historical fiction of late and I must admit, I'm getting rather tired of it.

Hahahahaha.

Also, do you have any other favorites (which meet the above criteria :P) that are set in the early 1900s?

Charity U said...

Melody --
Certainly not a silly question! No, I didn't think it went into too much detail about the romance -- and I have encountered that in other books, so I know what you mean. Probably a little sappy, but not bad.

Other early 1900's books I liked...let's see. I'm going through my archives, so check there if you want my reviews of any titles mentioned.
"Echoes of Titanic" by Mindy Starns Clark -- great Titanic book set both in the early 1900's and the present
Of course, Montgomery is always a good author to go to for this time period. I'm especially thinking of "Story Girl."
Have you tried anything by Stephanie Grace Whitson? I have enjoyed many books by her, from different time periods, but all around 1800's/early 1900's. A lot of great books there. If you want specific suggestions, just ask.
Grace Livingston Hill is another author who wrote a ton of books, many from early 1900's. Delightful sweet romances, often a little sappy, yes, but not at all explicit.
P. G. Wodehouse is also fun -- not romance. Oh, and Agatha Christie, excellent mysteries.

There you go...something to start you off. Let me know any other questions you have.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much!

True, true, Montgomery... I actually did read half of Story Girl, and I do intend to finish it one of these days. :P I'm reading Windy Poplars at the moment.

Grace Livingston Hill! My mom and oldest sister really like those books, but I've never finished any of them... though I only started about two. The actual copies of the books tend to annoy me--the ones we have, that is. ;) Hey, do you happen to remember anyone ever saying "But darling, I'm dead! I'm simply a fragment!" in one of those? We're always quoting that around here. :)

Ooh, I've been watching a lot of Poirot episodes lately, and I've listened to one and a half Tommy and Tuppence books. Heehee. Those are all later than I have in mind, though.

And no, I haven't read any by Stephanie whatever-you-said... what I'm specifically looking for is early 1910s since I'm sort of researching that era right now, historical fiction can be a pleasant way to learn things. Written by people who have already done the research, you know, and unlike books actually written back then, might mention some helpful details since they won't assume the reader already knows. Heehee. (And for your random information, haha, my research doesn't have anything to do with the Titanic.)

Melody said...

Um, that was me... haha, sorry, I didn't realize I was signed into another Gmail account and it said it was going to have me sign in, but then it didn't and just posted the comment instead. :P Blogger, when shalt thou cease to plague me...