Friday, October 19, 2012

Cover Focus: Sixteen Brides


Sixteen Brides by Stephanie Grace Whitson
 
Book blurb from goodreads.com : Sixteen Civil War widows living in St. Louis respond to a series of meetings conducted by a land speculator who lures them west by promising "prime homesteads" in a "booming community." Unbeknownst to them, the speculator's true motive is to find an excuse to bring women to the fledging community of Plum Grove, Nebraska, in hopes they will accept marriage proposals shortly after their arrival
Sparks fly when these unsuspecting widows meet the men who are waiting for them. These women are going to need all the courage and faith they can muster to survive these unwanted circumstances--especially when they begin to discover that none of them is exactly who she appears to be.”
Read my review: It was a great book and one I really enjoyed! http://austenitis.blogspot.com/2011/04/sixteen-brides.html
Why I like this cover: I think much of the draw of this book at first glance is the title. SIXTEEN brides? Wowza. But I do love the cover. All that green grass leading up to the immediate focal point – that big orange/yellow parasol held by the lady in the matching dress. My favorite color dress is the blue one, but I think that the black is my favorite style. A carpet bag and another parasol complete their accessories. As stated, this is a great book that I highly recommend!

2 comments:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

It's like the author was a fan of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, but decided seven was just too few :-D

My library has this book, so I'm putting it on my "read-me" list.

Charity U said...

Hamlette, LOL! :) I do hope you enjoy it...stop back by and tell me! :)