Thursday, October 25, 2012

Movie: One Night with the King




 My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9

Genre: Life

Primary actors: Tiffany Dupont, Omar Shariff, Luke Gross

Length: Two hours

Based on: It’s not based on anything except the Biblical account of Esther…but I believe that the director, Tommy Tenney, later wrote a book based on the movie titled Hadassah: One Night with the King. 

Time period: Bible times

Year it came out: 2006 (and the book came out in ’05…meaning either could have been based on the other?)

My overall opinion: I really enjoyed this interesting movie! While I don’t think it was entirely accurate the Biblical story (which it should have been), it was a good re-telling/dramatization and I enjoyed it. I especially became excited when I discovered two doubles…one being John Rhys-Davies (aka Gimli in Lord of the Rings) as Mordechai, and the other John Noble (aka Denethor in LOTR) as a wicked Prince. The Denethor guy freaked me out for a while…he was SO familiar, and I was quite sure it was LOTR, but I couldn’t place it…IMDB is an awesome help. :)

So. Overall? Good movie. Good story. Worth watching. Oh, and it’s clean. I would whole-heartedly recommend it! 





8 comments:

Liz R said...

I really enjoyed this movie as well. Esther's costumes were gorgeous!

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

My sister and I enjoy this film. Esther is one of our favorite Bible characters/books and we love the costumes and sweet story. They did an okay job with the story and God is still the focus of the film so that's good. I especially like the grandeur and richness of Persia that is shown, it's quite amazing.

Jujube said...

What! Two LOTR characters in this film? Anyway, gotta watch this sometime too.

Charity U said...

Yes, Jemimah, two LOTR characters! All the more awesome. Do watch it! :)

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I've been curious about this movie for a long time, as Esther is one of my favorite Bible people (I almost named my second daughter Esther, after her and the character in Ben-Hur). Glad to hear this is worth seeing, as before this I didn't know anyone who'd seen it, and I was afraid it might be awful. Thanks!

Charity U said...

Yes, Hamlette, it's a good movie! :)

The Mad Elvish Poet said...

That isn't Johnny Depp is it? I'm almost positive it can't be, and yet, it looks *so* much like him....
I think I'm going to have to be finding this at the library soon.

Charity U said...

Nope, no Johnny Depp. But yes -- watch this! :)