Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Movie: Under the Greenwood Tree



My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8

Genre: Period drama, life, romance
Primary actors: Keeley Hawes, James Murray
Length: About two hours
Based on: Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy
Time period: 1800's
Year it came out: 2005
My overall opinion: Having just typed in the year it came out, that reminded me of what surprised me. As I watched it, I tried to guess what year it came out in, and ended up thinking it was in the 80s or 90s. Was I ever surprised to learn it was 2005! There were just some filming things that made it seem older -- some of the sets, and just some of the general quality didn't make it seem like it was made at the same time as the 2005 Pride and Prejudice
However, I did enjoy it despite that. It was rather dis-orienting to see Keeley Hawes in this role! I'm used to her as Cynthia in Wives and Daughters. See my Doubles post that included her here. But she did well, and I think I liked her better here, though she did both parts well.

The story was fun, and sometimes funny! I laughed out loud a couple of times -- a good number for me in a movie of this length. And what made it really interesting was that the movie was full of awkward moments! Not embarassing ones, just awkward things that tend to happen when a girl has several guys in love with her. I didn't love Under the Greenwood Tree, but it was good.


2 comments:

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

I really enjoyed this movie too! I would describe it kind of like a Jane Austen book and Cranford mixed together. Definitely a fun watch! :-)

Rissi said...

Aw! This is one of my favs. It so sweet and Christmas-y, too! :)