Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Children of Hurin




Author: J. R. R. Tolkien

Genre: Fantasy, history

Series: It’s the early history of Middle-Earth, and gives background on characters mentioned in a legendary manner in Lord of the Rings

My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8

Type: Fiction

Number of pages: 313

Time period: Fantasy

My overall opinion: While I didn’t love it, it was very interesting and I learned some fascinating historical “facts” about Middle-Earth before the Third Age (in which Lord of the Rings and Hobbit took place). My favorite thing about this book, though? Alan Lee’s amazing pictures. Every 10 or 15 pages, a beautiful glossy picture, usually of a location, was inserted. Most of them were done in amazing grays, browns, and greens, and had an amazing amount of detail. I had to keep myself from flipping ahead to look at the pictures, and it’s been a long time since I really wanted to look ahead! As you may know, Alan Lee was one of the concept artists for the Lord of the Rings movies, and now for the Hobbit films. SO, this book is just about worth reading for the pictures! But it was also quite easy to read for me, and an enjoyable addition to Tolkien’s literature.

3 comments:

Liz R said...

I haven't read this one yet but I do want to. I love learning about the history of Middle Earth (wow that sounded nerdy! What can I say, I'm a LOTR addict). I just flipped through the pictures and they're beautiful!

Lydia said...

my brother-in-law has all j.r.r Tolkien books and when i visited my sister i read this one and i truly truly LOVED it!!!!!!! i am just that kind of person!

Katelyn said...

My dad has this and it was fun reading it and getting to know a little bit more about Middle-Earth.