Sunday, August 26, 2012

Movie: Bleak House



My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8.5


Genre: Period drama, classic, life
Primary actors: Anna Maxwell Martin, Denis Lawson, Carey Mulligan
Length: Eight 50-minute episodes
Based on: Bleak House by Charles Dickens
Time period: 1800's
Year it came out: 2005
My overall opinion: I really enjoyed this period drama! Yes, it was set in London and a Dickens, so rather dark. But there were a number of things I really liked about it. One was the names -- they were descriptive and imaginative, like most of Dickens' names are. Examples would include John Jarndyce, Lady Dedlock (rather a deadly lady, quite alarming), Mr. Tulkinghorne, Mr. Guppy, Miss Flite (she loved birds), Harold Skimpole (a bad guy), and many more. The actors all seemed well cast for their parts.
Oh, by the way, it was directed by Andrew Davies, who directed (among others) the 1995 Pride and Prejudice and the 2008 Sense and Sensibility.
There were several interesting things that happened as well, things that (again) are very Dickens. The most prominent of these to me was spontaneous combustion. Having done some research, I still don't know what to think. But I did think it was interesting that the Wikipedia article mentioned Bleak House.
There were a number of interesting doubles that I spotted in this movie. They included Carey Mulligan, Anna Maxwell Martin, Alun Armstrong, and Gillian Anderson. A Doubles post should be coming later today to explain them.

All in all, I enjoyed the movie. It was interesting and exciting. And I think it followed the book...I'm pretty sure that the movie makers of now-adays couldn't have come up with all the intriguing characters and incidents that were in the movie! I look forward to reading Bleak House. If you like period dramas, watch this one.





1 comment:

Miss Elizabeth Bennet said...

I really enjoyed watching Bleak House. I liked it how I liked Little Dorrit; it was an interesting plot line that made me want to know what happened next. (Though I think I liked Little Dorrit a little more).