Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Guest Post: Review: Miss Potter




My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9
Main characters: Beatrix Potter, Norman Warne, Millie Warne, Mr. and Mrs. Potter, 
Genre: Drama, Biopic 
Recognizable actors: Rene Zellweger, Ewan McGregor, Barbara Flynn, Bill Patterson, Lucy Boynton, Phyllida Law
Length: 92 minutes
Based on: The life of Beatrix Potter
Time period: 1900s
Year it came out: 2006
Story: Beatrix Potter, a young unmarried woman of 30, wants to get her children's book published. Her book is assigned to publisher Norman Warne, who has never published a book before. He believes in Beatrix's book and works very closely with her to get it published, and they soon fall in love.
My overall opinion: Very, very, very awesome movie! This movie is a bit of a tear jerker at parts, but it is very, very good.


I liked Rene Zellweger as Beatrix Potter. She was spunky! She was likable! She was talented! I liked how Beatrix Potter's artwork comes to life during the movie: they didn't over-do it and it was very cute and sweet. 


Ah! a familiar face to those who have seen Sense and Sensibility (2008)! Lucy Boynton portrays a young Beatrix Potter in flash backs. We get a glimpse into Beatrix's early life, her early love of animal, drawing, and the country. It was a very nice touch.

Love blossoms between Beatrix and her publisher, Norman Warne. It was very sweet, but Mr. and Mrs. Potter didn't approve of the match since Norman was a tradesman. I won't say how, but this was the sad part of the movie. Definitely the tear jerker part of the movie. But, in one way, everything worked out in the end.

The costumes in this film were not my favorite. They are a little more drab than other period dramas, but they weren't horrible. They just weren't the highlight of the film. What is a highlight of this film is the gorgeous scenery! The scenes in London weren't much to be talked of, but the country setting! Wow!

I highly recommend this film! It is rated PG for brief mild language: I think only one swear was dropped in the entire movie (at least that I detected). Other than that one word, there really isn't anything objectionable in here... Just a sad part.



If you would like to read my original review of Miss Potter at my blog, you can find the review here.









Elegance of Fashion
Make sure you visit my blog 
Elegance of Fashion for reviews, tournaments, and other events!

4 comments:

Little Lady said...

I LOVE that movie soooooooo much! It's so sad...but so good at the same time! And those stories were my FAVORITE growing up!

http://insunshineandshadowsmew.blogspot.com/

Jessa Bri said...

Miss Potter is an excellent movie! I enjoyed it immensely! Although, I get strange looks when I tell people that I don't cry when I watch this movie... or any other movies...

Marissa said...

love that movie!

Little Lady said...

I was gonna comment and say "I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!".......and then I realized I already did! lol I guess I love it doubly. :)