Friday, August 17, 2012

The Secret Keeper



Author: Sandra Byrd
Genre: Life, King Henry VIII, King Henry VIII’s Wives
Series: Ladies in Waiting
Number in series: 2nd
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9
Type: Historical fiction
Number of pages: 330
Time period: 1500’s
My overall opinion: Once again, I loved Sandra Byrd’s book! I anticipated reading this book all summer, and was finally able to. It was certainly a book worth reading! It’s the story of Kateryn Parr, King Henry VIII’s sixth wife, the one who outlived him. Secret Keeper is written from the view-point of a fictional friend of Kateryn (or Kate), one who eventually becomes her lady-in-waiting. It is a riveting story, full of palace intrigue, adventure, a dash of romance, and the general trials and joys of life. It’s written for adults, and has some heavy material, so I’d recommend it for age 16 and up. However, there’s nothing explicit or bad. As you should know, the times of King Henry VIII weren’t pretty. As far as I know and could tell, it was factual to history; I now know more about Kate than I ever did before! I highly recommend this book if you enjoy reading about this time period, reading historical fiction, or have even a passing fancy to the cover. Did I mention I love the cover? I do. Great book, and worth paying full price for! Definitely keeping this one.
**Sandra Byrd, the author, sent me a copy of this book in return for my honest review. I have reviewed the book honestly, given my true opinion. I received no other compensation for this review.**

2 comments:

Kirsten Fichter said...

The dresses on the cover are beautiful! Love them! :)

Hareford Mann said...

The book cover has already intrigued me instantly on what the books was all about. And, because of how you gave credit to the brilliant author, it strengthened my interest to read the book. I hope to be able to when I get my spare time again. Thanks for the recommendation.