Saturday, November 24, 2012

Little Dorrit


Author: Charles Dickens

Genre: Classic, life, romance
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9
Type: Fiction
Number of pages: 844
Time period: 1800s
Passage from book: Quotes coming below.
My overall opinion: An excellent read. It’s really not a hard read…just loooooonnnnnng. Very long. But very good too. A good book, especially if you watch the TV series first….great movie, btw. :) There were a few quotes I especially loved…
“In the country, the rain would have developed a thousand fresh scents, and every drop would have had its bright association with some beautiful form of growth or life. In the city it developed only foul stale smells, and was a sickly, lukewarm, dirt-stained, wretched addition to the gutters.”
“Mr. Pancks took hold of his tough hair again and gave it such a wrench that he pulled out several prongs of it. After looking at these with an eye of wild hatred, he put them in his pocket.”
John Chivery says, “I mistaken on a point that, even at the present moment, makes me take out my pocket-handkerchief like a great girl, as people say: though I am sure I don’t know why a great girl should be a term of reproach, for every rightly constituted male mind loves ‘em great and small.”
Sparkler’s names for Fanny were interesting and profuse: my dear girl, my life, my dear, my love, my adorable girl.
Altogether a wonderful Dickens! I think I liked it as much as Great Expectations. :)

No comments: