Friday, February 4, 2011

Movie: The Fellowship of the Ring



My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9
Main characters: Frodo, Sam, Pippin, Merry, Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron
Genre: Fantasy, adventure
Series or set: The Lord of the Rings
Number in series: 1st
Primary actors: Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Ian McKellen
Length: About 3 hours
Based on: The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien
Time period: Fantasty
Exciting events: Battles, escapes, mines, orcs, much much more!
Year it came out: 2001
My overall opinion: A good movie! I really enjoyed it. :) It's NOT for the younger kids or faint of heart. ;) I think it's rated PG-13. But it follows the book quite closely. I especially enjoyed the parts in the Mines of Moria (and discovered how "Moria" is supposed to be said), but that has always been a favorite part of mine in the book. Uh, let me re-say that. It's always captivated me. Anyway, if you like the LotR books, you'll enjoy this movie! I'm not crazy over the actor who plays Frodo, but that may just be because he's different than I pictured him.
PS: for those of you who find these things interesting...I knew I recognized the name, Ian McKellen. So I did a little research (since I really couldn't remember where I'd heard it) and discovered he was Chauvelin in the 1982 Scarlet Pimpernel! Wow. Vast difference!
P.P.S. I figured out why I don't like Frodo. It's because he looks a bit girly. Yup. That was and is my problem with him.

That's Gimli, Legolas, and Strider/Aragorn.


That's a representation of the Mines of Moria.

Sorry, there aren't any good MoM pictures that I'm finding. Oh well. Let it suffice to say that there were some amazing shots!

Two more of fearsome things: the Balrog and orcs.



I'm posting a little one so I don't scare you to death. Yup, they're disgusting.

2-28-13: Well, I watched the movies again...three times more. And I decided it was time for a much better review! So, I'm now working on updated reviews of all three movies. Here's the link to Fellowship -- enjoy! http://austenitis.blogspot.com/2013/02/movie-fellowship-of-ring.html

2 comments:

Rose said...

I really like the LOTR books and the movies. I have watched them a lot! :) Interesting review.

Unknown said...

A good movie! I really enjoyed it. :) It's NOT for the younger kids or faint of heart. ;) I think it's rated PG-13. But it follows the book quite closely. I especially enjoyed the parts in the Mines of Moria (and discovered how "Moria" is supposed to be said), but that has always been a favorite part of mine in the book. Affordable wedding rings