Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ever


Author: Gail Carson Levine
Genre: Fantasy, romance
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 4
Type: Fiction
Number of pages: 244
Time period: Fantasy
Main characters: Olus, Kezi
Exciting events: Hmmm...
My overall opinion: Well, I came to this book fully expecting to love it. I have loved other books by Levine, so. However, I had multiple problems.
1. Gods. One of the main characters was immortal and a god. As a Christian, I can't accept this.
2. The romance. The characters were about 17 and 14. There was a lot of kissing, and at one point it sorta sounded like they were sleeping together. Obviously wrong.
3. This wasn't so much a problem as something interesting. It was written from both points of view. The chapters went back and forth, first from Olus's view, then from Kezi's. It was interesting for reading. Also they were in present tense.
So all in all, I can't recommend it. Don't read it.

5 comments:

Grace said...

I agree. I tried reading this book, and only got past the first four chapters. The gods were the biggest problem for me. But tracking the story through both of the characters was difficult to.

Yes, don't read this book. I'd recommend Levine's other books. For instance, Ella Enchanted, her best one. :)

Charity U said...

I agree with you, Avy. Ella Enchanted was her best. :) I love that story.

Jujube said...

I loved Ella Enchanted, but this one doesn't look worth reading. :(

Charity U said...

It's not. :(

The Mad Elvish Poet said...

I wasn't exactly bothered by the whole gods perspective - not that it isn't false, but if you keep reading, she makes it clear that the gods could be lesser beings than God, but more powerful than the humans - but it was *dull* I never finished it...