Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow


Author: Susan Campbell Bartoletti
Genre: World War II, Nazis, documentary type
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8
Type: Non-fiction
Number of pages: 158
Time period: 1940's, World War II
Main characters: Several, actually.
My overall opinion: Hitler Youth...you've probably heard of them, but how much do you know? This book will probably enlighten you, as I know it did me. It's a book full of pictures and stories, and very sad. You hear about kids sneaking out at night so that they could be part of the Hitler Youth, though their parents don't want them to. I find it amazing that these kids, my age, and even younger could be so blind to what Hitler was doing. They didn't know the full extent of the concentration camps, but they knew enough to know  better, in my opinion. A good book.

No comments: