Friday, April 15, 2011

A Tale of Two Cities



Author: Charles Dickens
Genre: Adventure
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 7
Type: Historical fiction
Number of pages: 293
Time period: 1700's, French Revolution
Main characters: Lucie, Dr. Manette, Charles, Sydney
Exciting events: A great many.
Passage from book: It has a most epic beginning. :) It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way -- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
My overall opinion: Unfortunately, despite the beginning, I didn't really enjoy it. :( It is possible that I was reading too fast. I do that sometimes. But the story didn't really grab me. I will apologize for not liking it to all you people who are devoted to it. Each to their own. :P Take hope, though, I will probably read it again someday.

3 comments:

Jenn Noelle said...

HOOOWWW?!?!?!?!?! *sigh* Yes, you must read it again someday. I read it several years ago and I'm pretty sure that I didn't have a clue what was going on half the time, but it's still one of my favorite books in the world. The ending just makes you go "Wow. That's why this is a classic." So epic. :)

Charity U said...

I agree, the ending was stunning. Epic. :) It alone rather makes me want to read the book again. :) Well, I will, someday. Promise.

Annie (larkin) said...

I read this in January for history, and although some parts dragged, it was written most spectacularly. Not every author can write sentences that are half a page long. Yes, I think the beginning and the end are the most epic of all time.

~Larkin