Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Curse Dark as Gold



Author: Elizabeth C. Bunce
Genre: Life, mystery, touch of romance
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 7.5
Type: Fiction, based on Rumplestiltskin (sp?)
Number of pages: 395
Time period: Fantasy, similar to 1800's
Main characters: Charlotte, Jack, Randall, Rosie
Exciting events: Desperate times...
Passage from book: When my father died, I thought the world would come to an end. Standing in the churchyard in my borrowed mourning black, I was dimly aware of my sister Rosie beside me, the other mourners huddled around the grave. Great dark clouds gathered over the river, and I knew them for what they were: The End, poised to unleash some terrible wrath and sweep us all right out of the Valley. I let go my hold on Rosie's arm, for I was ready to be swept away. Yet, somehow, I found myself still standing at the end of the service.
My overall opinion: This was a good story, and mostly a good book. I felt that the last few chapters had rather too many ghosts, spells, murders, "luck," etc, but.

No comments: