Monday, August 22, 2011

A Vision of Lucy


Author: Margaret Brownley
Genre: Romance, adventure
Series: A Rocky Creek Romance
Number in series: 3rd
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 9.5, totally
Type: Fiction
Number of pages: 330
Time period: 1800's
Main characters: Lucy, David
Exciting events: This book has a multitude of humorous and interesting accidents and adventure. :)
Passage from book: These delightful quotes headed each chapter...I loved them! A different one for each. "Brides, take pity on your photographer. Matthew S. Brady and his helpers were able to record the entire War Between the States with little more than 1100 photographs. Half that number should satisfy most brides." "A man imagines himself more handsome than his photograph; a woman believes herself more homely." There are so many I'd love to include...these quotes definitely add to the story. :)
My overall opinion: LOVE. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I liked this book. As in, really liked it. A female photographer from the 1800's who gets into scrapes? A handsome "wild" man? A kiss just a few pages in? And totally awesome photography quotes from an 1800's woman at the beginning of each chapter? <3 This book was funny and sweet. And I'm SO reading it again someday. Believe me, if you haven't read this yet, you're really really really missing out. Totally worth buying!
***Margaret Brownley sent me a free copy of this book in return for an honest review. The opinions and thoughts here expressed are totally my own. I am not in any way paid for doing this review.***

10 comments:

Charity U said...

(Did I make it clear I loved this one?)

Melody said...

Yes, I think you made that very clear. Haha...although I'm not sure a kiss just a few pages in would be a positive thing with me...

Sometimes I wonder what you would rate the book I'm writing right now. hehe ;-) You'd probably like it. ...Most Janeites should like it. ;D

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Ha hah! No Charity, I think you could have made it a little bit clearer! :)
I've never heard of this book before, it sounds lovely! If I see it I'll definitely have to pick up a copy!

~Miss Laurie

Charity U said...

Oooo, Melody, when you finish your book, can I be a proof-reader? I'm sure I would enjoy it. :) Oh, and about the kiss...it was neat in the book, though I wouldn't want it happening to me. ;)

Miss Laurie, definitely do if you ever find it!

Melody said...

Well, it's a lot more 'ifish' than 'whenish', and I already have quite a few proof-readers. IF I DO finish it though, I might try to publish it...then you can read it. :) It's probably not very likely, but one must have ambition, musn't one? =)

Melody said...

Oh, and I had another question about the book...is the series about the same people, or is it all different people put together in a series?

Charity U said...

Well, I haven't read the rest of the books. But I'm pretty sure that it's a series concerning one town of people, focusing on a different girl from the town each time. So you see characters from previous/future books in each book. Make sense?

c said...

I read the preview on amazon and this book looks great! (and yes, you made it very clear! ;)) (did I mention that I LOVE your blog?!! ^_^)

Clare said...

ha ha. it said 'c' says! *ahem* it's supposed to be Clare. ;)

Charity U said...

Clare, it is a great book! I did enjoy it a great deal. :) I've FINALLY gotten my hands on the first two books (A Lady Like Sarah and A Suitor For Jenny) and thoroughly enjoyed the first one...can't wait to read the second. I would highly recommend these! :) If you decide to buy, I'd appreciate if you do it through the link on the need-to-read post...I'd get a little money back that way. :)

And I'm so glad you're enjoying Austenitis! I'm definitely loving your comments. :) Thanks!