Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Hunt for Red October



Author: Tom Clancy
Genre: Adventure, through and through
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8.5
Type: Fiction
Number of pages: 387
Time period: 1980's
Main characters: Marko Ramius, Ryan, a variety of others
Exciting events: A huge Russian silent submarine defecting from Russia!
My overall opinion: I greatly enjoyed this book, and would have given it a higher rating were it not for the swearing. I was very sad about this. I counted at least seven uses of the f- word, plus every minor word I know. Not that my vocabulary here is gigantic, but. The story is great, though I was glad that I was familiar with the movie. Note that the swearing "fit". I'm not saying that made it okay/right, but it went with the characters and the story. Sure, it could have been written without it, but the author wasn't just adding it to shock his audience, if that makes sense. So. A very exciting story that any guy would enjoy! And many girls too. :)

No comments: