Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Reluctant Queen



Author: Joan Wolf
Genre: Romance, life
My rating on a 1-10 scale: 8
Type: Historical/biblical fiction
Number of pages: 378
Time period: Bible times
Main characters: Esther, Mordecai, Ahasuerus
My overall opinion: I love the cover. :) Unfortunately, the story itself wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be. As you probably noticed, it's the love story of the Biblical character Esther. I was unhappy with the things Ms. Wolf changed from the actual story. For example, instead of having Mordecai overhear two guards plotting to assassinate Ahasuerus, she had a higher up soldier bribing two guards, who came to Mordecai asking for his help to thwart the plan. There were maybe 7 or 8 instances of this througout the book. I also felt like a few things went into too much detail, but not so much that I can't recommend the book. In fact, I'll be giving away a copy tomorrow! Make sure you check back. :)

Overall, if you want a great Esther story, check out Jewel of Persia by Roseanna M. White. This was a fun one-time read, but not a book I'll be reading again.

1 comment:

Jessy Jones said...

Entry #1 - My favorite move EVER? Wow, I'm really not sure. But a definate favorite is The Count of Monte Cristo (2002).

Entry #2-3 - I follow Austenitis.

Entry #4 - I have Austenitis's button on my blog.

Entry #5-7 - I [asked to be allowed to] follow your photography blog.

Entry #8 - My favorite dessert is probably flan.

Entry #9-11 - I commented 3 times on a Jane Austen post. (Wow, this last one was hard! No, I'm not being sarcastic--it really was hard.)

Oh, and by the way, thanks for doing all these book & movie reviews & giveaways. I really enjoy them! And, besides, it sometimes saves me time when I want to research a book. =D

Jessie